Thursday, November 9, 2017

Interview with writer Dobie Houson

Writer Dobie Houson is here today and we’re chatting about her non-fiction book, Devotion – Humans and Their Four-Legged Soulmates.

Bio:
Dobie Houson is an activist for animal rights, an animal communicator, and the award-winning author of Finding Forever: The Dogs of Coastal German Shepherd Rescue and Four-Legged Wisdom: Sacred Stories from an Animal Communicator.

An ardent activist for animal rescue, Houson is founder and executive director of Finding Forever, a foundation dedicated to raising money and awareness for animal rescue causes through the arts.

A lifelong animal lover, she has worked with dogs, cats, and horses. But it was her desire to understand and connect with animals on a deeper, more meaningful level that ultimately led her to study animal communication, including honing her telepathic skills. She has trained with some of the country’s most respected intuitive counselors and animal communicators and, today, is a sought-after teacher and trainer herself.

A professional communicator and prolific writer, Houson contributed to Why We Ride: Women Writers on the Horses in Their Lives, a popular anthology edited by writer and literary agent Verna Dreisbach.

When she’s not working with animals, Houson serves as director of marketing research for The Ken Blanchard Companies, a global consulting firm specializing in leadership and talent development. Her research has been published in many world-class academic journals.

Welcome, Dobie. Please tell us about your current release.
Devotion celebrates the magical connection between humans and their four-legged soulmates. Written by an animal communicator, this beautiful and heartwarming collection of short stories honors the love, courage, and unbreakable bonds these amazing partners share as they navigate life. Anyone who has ever looked into the eyes of their beloved animal companion and wondered what they were thinking will fall in love with this book. The author, a passionate animal lover, donates a portion of all proceeds to animal rescues and sanctuaries.

What inspired you to write this book?
I love animals and I think they have so much to teach us. I also believe they assist us in ways we never imagined. As an animal communicator, I’m often blown away by their wisdom, honesty and humor. Devotion is my third book and I love meeting new people and writing their stories. But my favorite part is handing their story back to them to review and having them be so touched by what their beloved pet has told me. And I love to give back so being able to animal rescues and shelters who so desperately need funds feeds my soul.

What exciting story are you working on next?
I’m starting to connect with people and scout out stories for my next book which will be similar to my last two – short stories about the amazing connections between people and their pets.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I’ve always written. And I’ve always loved it. I remember when I was about 10 my dad asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I responded that I wanted to be a writer. He sort of laughed and said “You’ll never make money doing that.” And I responded back, “Watch me.”

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
By day, I’m the Director of Marketing Research for The Ken Blanchard Companies. So I do write in my day job but it’s skewed more toward white papers and ebooks and infographics. My research team has won several awards for our academic level papers. It’s a fast-paced place. Our founder is the author of The One Minute Manager. I joined the organization right before the book found its way to bestseller status.

When I’m working on a book I write on the weekends. And once I publish a book I give myself a few months off.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
Probably the fact that I can talk to animals. But I’ve also got a keen sense of humor and love to make people laugh. Often, I cry while I write because as the words flow out of me, they touch my heart and soul.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A writer.

Links:
Website | Amazon buy page

Thanks for being here today, Dobie!

No comments: