Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Interview with poet and author Darrah J. Perez

I have an interview with poet and author Darrah J. Perez today. We’re chatting about her new anthology of poems, It Never Happened, It Always Happens, It’s Forever Happening.

Bio:
A Native of the Wind River Reservation in Wyoming, Author Darrah J. Perez offers gifts of poetry and short stories centered around life experience, lessons, and upbringing. A poet who speaks right from the heart shining light upon the gift of life. No stone unturned, no path untraveled, Mrs. Perez is a believer, “everything happens for a reason,” Being very observant in everyday life, Darrah records everything as proof that the Universe is alive and listening.

Welcome, Darrah. What do you enjoy most about writing poems?
I love it when a poem can spark the tinder of saddened emotions by thoughts, words, and feelings. Life focuses on the past, the present, and the future; poetry has the ability to bring all three of those into one. When I write, it comes not by thought, not by feelings, not by emotion, but by the life of the Universe and everything yet to be understood. Poetry is an art that has helped me discover who it is, I am.

Can you give us a little insight into a few of your poems – perhaps a couple of your favorites?
My grandmother passed away almost 3 years now today. I spent the last dying day with her in the hospital, paying attention to every detail and word spoken between her and I, and her and others. Tomorrow is never promised spoke loud and clear to me throughout the whole day, take no time for granted. I watched her take her last breath as my heart cried out for mercy. The next day after her passing she spoke to me and through me in the poem, “Tomorrow is Never Promised.”

What form are you inspired to write in the most? Why?
I never force poetry. I let it come naturally with life’s experiences and lessons. I have discovered it is more free-flowing when chosen to be done this way. I have been working on writing fiction, but I think writing about real life events and people is what gets me most inspired. I am greatly appreciative that I discovered living a life secret-free and full of knowledge absorbed is what truly does open doorways to unknown successes.

What type of project are you working on next?
August 21, 2017 is the date of a total solar eclipse set to be seen across the United States. On February 2, 2017, a premonition came to me. This eclipse could be an awakening for many. “I saw the eruption of Yellowstone.”

My newest book currently being written is titled, A Perfect Eclipse.

When did you first consider yourself a writer / poet?
When I was very young I loved reading the choose your own adventure books. They were my favorite because of the different endings. Life is what you make it, we choose our own adventure every day. I have always held an awe for creators of word art. Discipline was the one thing I envied in my favorite book authors. I wanted to be just like them. I knew I had it in me to be just like them. Writing was something I liked from the moment pen and paper and me, met in the third grade.

How do you research markets for your work, perhaps as some advice for not-yet-published poets?
Social media is big in this day and age. I began from a poetry site as an admin on Facebook. It was during this time that I reached out to my favorite poets from that site and the questions began. I learned that each poet had their own style, technique, and desire. I knew my desires and what I wanted. I knew what type of energy I had. I took those three things and began searching for doors, hoping for angels in disguise to guide me and lead me. “You never know unless you ask,” is the motto I lived by. With each door that opened, another one opened, and then another. I had found my niche.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I like to write when I am going through emotions. I have learned a lot from life by paying attention to my emotions, with the goal being complete control of them.  

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a New York Times Best-Selling Author. I wanted to be a Stephen King.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
As a filmmaker, I have found ways to share my most prized poetry through visual media. Found on YouTube by searching Darrah J. Perez, poetry names such as, Eagle is My Name, Women Making Life Happen, Grandfather Bless Me with Unity, & Dancing with the Spirits are just a few of my short videos that can be found there.

As a poet and an author, I’m always looking forward to inspire more through my books, videos, and presentations. I am Darrah J. Perez. I am proud to admit, “life happens the way life happens, with it, comes a purpose.”

Links:

Thanks for being here today, Darrah.

No comments: