Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Interview with novelist F.A. Carroll

I have F.A. Carroll in the hotseat today. We’re talking about his new novella, Emilee Anonymous.

Bio:
F.A. Carroll lives in Branford, CT, and is a lifelong Connecticut resident.

He began his writing hobby as a novice screenwriter and polished his talent through years of edits and rewrites.

Welcome, F.A. Please tell us about your current release.
Emilee Anonymous is a story about the ones left behind after a suicide. It goes to the darkest edges of where we end up when we die. At 104 pages long, it is a quick, but powerful read.

What inspired you to write this book?
It began as a significantly darker genre. After seeing the effect of suicide first hand, it changed the story, I believe for the better.


Excerpt from Emilee Anonymous:
Every so often, she appears from out of nothing, dancing with a child-like innocence across my kitchen floor. Her hair pulled back perfectly in a low pony, and her face concealed with enough stage makeup to add ten years to her age. I always buy into the moment, sit up from my drunken slouch and give my full attention. Her never-ending smile stretches cheek-to-cheek and it never leaves her face. She taps her tiny feet against the tile floor, raising her hands to her lips while blowing kisses toward my face. I pretend to catch them in my fists and store them in my pocket. That always made her smile. It still does. Flawlessly, she ends the routine without a hitch, bends her knee with an unbalanced curtsy, smiles, and waves goodbye. I beg her to stay — I plead for her to speak with me but she never does. In a flash, she disappears just as quickly as she appeared. The room goes dark. And the shadows return. Nevertheless, she isn’t actually here. It’s merely a drunken mirage I made up in my mind. They’re the memories locked away deep down inside which emotionally trigger unwillingly. Her kisses never find my face and my happiness fades away. On one hand, I’m happy to endure the pain of being able to see her. On the other hand, I could live without it. Although the choice isn’t mine to make.
***


What exciting story are you working on next?
Dead Flowers (Never Sent) is currently in edit.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
As a teen in the 80’s, I wrote lyrics.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I am a single parent raising my third and final child. She is who I write for. My fulltime job is as a master gardener at a high-end condo complex on the Connecticut shoreline.

I write 6 days a week. 1 hour each morning before work, and 2-5 hours after.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I enjoy adding in actual events and friend’s names. Usually subtle and overlooked.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A songwriter.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
I have had an amazing opportunity to befriend a few elder, successful authors through my work. Dr. Richard Selzer, a beautiful man who has guided me in my journey. Without his guidance I’d be still in edit. He told me to let the world read it.

Links:

Thanks for being here today, F.A.!


No comments: