Monday, February 22, 2016

Interview with novelist Catherine MacDonald

A new week starts with an interview with Catherine MacDonald. She’s chatting with me about her historical coming of age story, A Modern Woman: A Jazz Era novel.

Welcome, Catherine. Please tell us a little bit about yourself.
I am a former school teacher and currently I run a large RV dealership. I have written ten books. Frankly, writing keeps me sane in this crazy world we live in. I am a wife, mother, and nana.

Please tell us about your current release.
A Modern Woman is set in Reno, Nevada in 1923 during Prohibition. Lily is a beautiful young woman who finds herself caught between the old-fashion values of the past and the new emerging values of the modern era. She is still a virgin and has promised she will wait for true love and not give herself to every man like Marie. Lily wants a career, to wear a smart suit, and earn her own money. As soon as she’s old enough to vote, which just became reality three years prior, she will. She does not want to be meek and timid like her mother.  She finds herself serving illegal liquor in a speakeasy involved with murder and corruption. She meets handsome Joe Caponi and her haunting eyes seem to look deep within his soul and see the man he hopes to be one day. Against society and family constraints, fate intervenes and brings two people who are destined for each other, together.

What inspired you to write this book?
The entire medical marijuana situation is similar to prohibition. Did you know there was a loophole in the law that allowed doctors to write prescriptions for alcohol during Prohibition. History certainly repeats itself.


Excerpt from A Modern Woman:
There was a commotion at the front entrance and Lily looked that way. The door burst open and a swarm of police rushed in swinging their black clubs in the air and yelling, “Raid!” A tall portly officer blew his whistle and yelled, “No one leave the room. You’re all under arrest.”


What exciting story are you working on next?
A fable entitled The Buddha and The Bear.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
As a young girl. I used to write plays and perform them for my neighborhood.  I wrote in college, but did not become serious until after my children were older.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
No. I run a business during the day. I have learned to write in the corners of my life.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I like to write with my feet on my de-tox salt rock. It gets all the negative stuff out of me.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a performer. In fact, I did that growing up. I wanted to be a teacher, and did that for twenty-five years. And I wanted to own my own business. Some days I wonder what was I thinking!!

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
Thanks for listening and I hope you read the story. Lily Diamond is an interesting girl!

Links:
      
Thanks for being here today, Catherine!


1 comment:

Linda Barnett-Johnson said...

Great interview. I learned something about Catherine I didn't know. Glad she's continuing to write. Love her stories.